Finally you have your day in court. Your trial might be half a day or multiple days, depending on how complex the issues are and how many witnesses will be present. The trial is where you will be able to present your full case and will bring in evidence to support it.
Steps to a trial:
- The Claimant, (the person who brought the application), gives an opening statement summarizing their position.
- The respondent, (the person replying to the application), then summarizes their position.
- The claimant presents their case and questions their witnesses
- The respondent presents their case and questions their witnesses
- The claimant and the respondent makes closing statements
- The judge makes a decision
Discussions on how to prepare and present at trial are discussed in the next chapter.